Friday, January 27, 2012

Dad's metabolism

We went to the doctor on the 16th for Miles' 4-month check up. Even though he is 5 months old now. It is difficult to get an appointment with his primary doctor, Dr. Wells. Mostly because he is a good doctor and very popular (lots of people see him). Miles also needed to get his next series of vaccinations to protect him from all those nasty diseases out there. I am a little paranoid about pertussis (whooping cough), mostly because I watched this documentary and saw this poor little baby with pertussis who couldn't breathe because she was coughing so much. She got it from a relative before she was vaccinated for it. Scary, but I have been re-vaccinated for pertussis so I'm good. Aaron is another story.
I AM GROWING! Honest! Just at my own pace that's all.

So anyway, we saw Dr. Sorlie, who is a very nice person and good doctor, Miles really likes her. She was my back-up doctor for delivery when I had Miles, but she was also out of town when he was born (I'll relay the birth story in a later post). Well, they weighed Miles and discovered he is gaining weight but he dropped into the 3rd percentile for his weight and age. He isn't loosing weight, but he isn't gaining it very quickly either. However, realizing where he gets his genetic predisposition for inability to gain weight, I don't think I am too concerned yet. For goodness sake, look at his Dad!

Bones Sr. and Bones Jr.
So I've been doing some reading about breast milk and how I can increase the fat content of my milk. Essential Fatty Acids seem to be the key with a balance of Omega-3 and Omega-6. Eggs, almonds and olive oil are a good sources and the creme de la creme is flax seed and flax seed oil. So I've started to incorporate flax into my food everyday. I put flax seeds in my oatmeal, I take a flax seed oil supplement, and I even sprinkled ground flax seed on my pop corn and used olive oil instead of butter. I also read that supplementing with flax and primrose oils might help with his eczema issues.
Miles' first piece of mail, the Puddler from Ducks Unlimited. He's our little Green Wing

We will start introducing solid foods next month too, so that may help him put on a little more weight. I need to give Grammie Julie a call to see if she had similar issues when Aaron was a baby. Like father, like son...right! Let me know if you have any other tips to increase the potency of my breast milk.
Happy baby likes the idea of brown rice cereal and squash puree. Mom's learning some new recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment